How To Be a Registered/Licensed Engineer in Nigeria

If you are intending to be a registered or better put, licensed engineer, then you should read this blog. The procedure to do it can no doubt be confusing to many people, but I assure you, it is very simple. There are two steps involved; register with NSE then go to COREN for the final step. Registering with COREN is more important, when practicing engineering is concerned. But you have to go through  NSE to get there. Last year, (see blog post below), I mentioned you do not need to go through NSE to register with COREN. Actually, that new procedure was only done in September and October last year for reasons best known to themselves. After that period, COREN stopped accepting applicants without NSE registration.

But going through NSE makes it a lot easier to go to COREN. NSE has two registration windows, in April and in October. Once you get your registration with NSE, getting your license from COREN is simplified.

So if you are intending to get your engineering practicing license, now is the time to do it. Application to sit for NSE exams has started and will not end till February the 28th. NSE website has given a step by step instruction of how to do it. I have also made a specific blog post for that here. Should you need more guidance in doing this, I would be happy to help. Please comment below or send an email.



The procedure of registering with the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) has once again changed. It actually reverted back to what was the norm about 5 years ago. Now, you do not need to go through the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE). You can acquire both membership in parallel. However, going through the NSE first before approaching COREN may be easier. This is because when you register with NSE, you will neither sit for an interview with COREN nor will you need to submit a detailed technical report.  Again, to clear the misconception of who gives you the requisite license to practice engineering in Nigeria, it is COREN. It is the organization decreed in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

A Registered Engineer, according to the Engineers Code of Conduct of 2015 prepared by COREN is defined as someone who maybe engaged in research, production, supervision of engineering construction, management of engineering activities or as a designer; or he may be retained as a consultant for professional advice, inspection, certification adjudication, or be engaged in any combination of these.

Back to the matter, how do you get your license now without going to NSE?

The process is clearly detailed on the website here. For a summary, all you have to do is download and print two forms. One form is to be completed by two registered engineers who are up to date with their payment of dues, endorsing you to be registered. The other form is to be completed by your employer, endorsing your application. Until you have these two forms, you should not start the online registration.

With the forms duly completed, you are ready to begin the online application. You will be asked to upload the two endorsed forms and other credentials of yours. In addition, you will need to request your alma mater to send your bachelor’s transcripts to COREN. This you can do early on in the process, assuming you are certain you will get endorsed, which I believe is not difficult. However, you may face a challenging period looking for engineers with up to date payment of dues. Ensure you ascertain they are up to date with the account office of COREN before you upload the form.

During the completion of the online form, you will be asked to pay a registration fee of 12,000 Nigerian Naira. Thereafter, you will submit 3 copies of a technical report. When the board reviews your application, an invitation for interview will be sent to you. On the day of your interview, you will also bring a single copy of the report you submitted earlier. One advice about the report, do not include what you cannot defend. Your interview will assess you on what you wrote and basic engineering knowledge. If you need help writing this report, please contact me.

The assessment interview is organized at the beginning of each quarter. So the next interview should be in September. Confirmed dates haven’t been announced yet. After passing your interview, which I have no doubt you will, you will complete the process by paying 38,500 NGN. And with that, you have the requisite license to practice engineering in Nigeria and use the title ‘Engr’ before your name.

For those who have master’s degrees, you do not need to submit your M.Sc transcript. You can do so if you wish though. Your first degree transcript suffices. If you have any more questions regarding the process, please comment below. If you also need help with the writing your post-graduate experience report, I will be happy to help.

Please forward this post to someone who is intending to register.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


Many of us are a bit confused as to what body licenses engineers in Nigeria; is it the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) or the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN)? Well, it is COREN that can authoritatively grant you license to practice engineering in Nigeria. The process of getting there is dependent on time and experience though, and must be through NSE. Nigerian engineers practicing outside the country are also eligible for registration by COREN.

From last year, the procedure for getting registered changed. Then, COREN administers potential engineers with an exam before registering them. Now, it is the NSE that administers the examination, and all you have to do after passing the exam is to apply to COREN for registration. You normally pay an amount of money together with your application. Your applications must be supported by a registered engineer, who has to sign her/his name, including her/his license number. This engineer should be the one you have been under her or his tutelage.

The first eligibility you need to meet before getting registered is the duration of your engineering practice. Normally, COREN says you have to practice for four years before applying. However, you can be registered with a lower number of years, if you have partaken in a sophisticated engineering project. These rules also apply now to NSE before you get registered with them.

NSE organizes a mandatory workshop (at a fee) for aspiring engineers twice a year, in March and in October. The same time period that COREN accepts application for registration. After the workshop, you then sit for the exam, depending on your discipline. A 3 part exam is organized; essay, oral and technical. For civil engineers, you are normally required to submit a full manual design of a development project you have worked on before, complete with structural detailing. The essay part is a general examination covering the disciplines of engineering; perhaps testing your general engineering knowledge. You will also be tried on your proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint in the technical exam. The oral examination will test you mostly on the design of the project you have submitted. I know oral examination sounds scary but am sure you will nail it if you get there.

Engineering seal
A COREN engineering seal which each COREN registered engineer is given, customized with your registration number.

Upon the acceptance of your application showing you have passed the exam and meet the duration of practice, you will be granted license to practice and an engineering seal (pictured above) which you will use on the engineering drawings you will submit for development authorities to approve. Development authorities (such as FCDA that is in charge of developmental projects in the FCT) will only accept engineering drawings with a COREN seal before they will approve the development project.

So how many years of practice do you have left before you can register?


Written by Sadiq Gulma (LEED AP BD+C)…your freelance engineer.


41 thoughts on “How To Be a Registered/Licensed Engineer in Nigeria”

  1. Hello! Goodday… My name is yakudima Akibu ghali. I did my bachelors degree in Land survey with second class upper (4.16/5) CGPA from Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Bauchi (ATBU) bauchi. And did my Masters in structural Engineering (civil Engineering) graduated with first class (8.024/10)CGPA from sharda university india. Please can i be registered with NSE or COREN as an Engineer.Thank you. Need to hear from you soon.

    1. Hello Yakudima, thanks for your message. You really did well in school, more grease to your elbow. As for the registration, I think you should be able to. What did year did you finish from ATBU?
      According to NSE website, “Candidates who are holders of the Bachelor’s degree in Engineering whose qualifications are accredited by COREN or any overseas accreditation board recognised by COREN.”
      In some universities, Land Surveying or Geomatic Engineering is under the faculty of engineering. In that case, your degree qualifies you to be registered. Your added MSc qualification should be a great advantage.
      I will advise you to visit the nearest branch of NSE to find out more information or speak to one of your lecturers at ATBU on your case.


  2. Is techincal report a combination of differnt projects one has worked on or a single one. In summary what is required to be in the report?
    Thank you and i hope you enjoying Germany my friend.

    Warm regards,

    1. Dear Khadeejah,
      The technical report to be submitted to COREN should include a summary of all the projects you have worked on. In addition, you should choose one among those projects and write in details. These details should include the full design of say a building or road, the take-off, the BEME, the structural drawings and other things you deem relevant. I hope this clarifies your question. I am available to you if you have more questions.
      Germany has been great. Now back to my roots 🙂

  3. Please can I get a detailed technical report on Electrical Design and Installation on buildings to submit to COREN,WOULD BE glad to lay my hand on it THANKS

    1. Hello Atodo,
      Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, I do not have on electrical, only civil. But to inform you, if you dont know, the report should contain your educational history, and all the engineering projects you have been involved. Out of these projects, choose one and write about it in detail. Include all the designs, drawings, BEME and anything related to it. I wish you the best.

  4. may Allah continue to guide, protect and Shower you with more of His bounties wisdom and knowledge…. Ameen.

    pls just want to ask thus;
    the three copies of the technical report,
    1. most we submits it to the COREN head office in Abuja or it can be in any of their branch?
    2. Are we to also upload it to their blog?

    Jazaakumullahu khair ya prop.

    1. Thank you for your comment Engr Hafeez Gobezantashi.
      As per your inquiries;
      1. The instruction says submit to your nearest coren office. Should you get there, please try to confirm with them 🙂
      2. If you do not have NSE reg, you are not required to upload it.
      I wish you the best 🙂 waiyyaka

    1. Hello Hauwa,
      Thank you for your question. I have a friend who used his MSc thesis and it went fine. I hope yours is a master’s or PhD thesis. In any case, the score for the report is divided into sections. For instance for a civil engineering report, you will be asked to show the manual design, drawings, bill of quantities, take-off sheet etc. If you do not have any parts from what I listed, you will get a zero for that section. I hope I have answered your question.

  5. Hi… I applied for COREN and I just received a message from coren email that my application has been recommended for further vetting. My question is that how many times do they normally vet an application since I already have NSE membership. Second question is forwarding of a transcript is it a MUST before application is processed? Looking forward to hearing from you soon

    1. Hello Zahra!
      Since you have a NSE, I think the vetting should be once. After first completing the online form, the portal manager will accept your submission and submit to the persons in charge of going through your application.The instruction to send transcripts is normally if you do not have an NSE membership. But COREN keeps changing their rules. I did mine without an NSE, and I had to send in my transcripts. I advise you call them to confirm. Let me know if you cannot reach them.

      1. Do you have contact details on who to call in COREN? Please send to me via email. I also have the message “recommended for further vetting” for over a month now

      2. Hello Osaze,
        Sorry no. However, there are numbers written on the website. Perhaps you may call one of them. Let me ask, have you done your NSE membership?

    2. Hello Zahra, please can you walk me through the registration process after the “recommended for further vetting”. What next should be expected? Thanks

    1. Hello Adedokun,
      I am sorry its not possible now. You have to go through NSE now. NSE registration is on. If you need One-on-One guidance on how to do it, please shoot me an email.

  6. Hello Sadiq,

    I completed my BSc and MSc in Mech Engineering in America (2009), then I did the NCEES FE exam (USA) and qualified as an Engineer in Training before doing my PhD. Do I need NSE or will the NCEES suffice to register for COREN? If I have to go through NSE, do I apply under the B1 category? For someone who is only registered with COREN, is registration with NSE necessary?

    Thank you,


    1. Hello Mohammed,
      As for your first question, I do not think you need NSE, but its not always easy bypassing it. The best way is to call them to ask. Second question, yes B1. Third question, no. NSE is only a society of engineers. But with COREN, doing NSE is very simple. I advise you get it if you have the means and contribute to its development. Should you need more guidance on how to do your registration, please let me know.
      Thank you.

  7. Hi Sadiq, I really appreciate ur info. Pls I have HND in electrical and I’ve been practising for the past four years now. How can I get COREN?

  8. Can someone registered with HND. Also let me know the class of grade that is, lower, upper or distinction before allowing someone to register.

  9. Good day Engr. SODIQ, please I need your help on how to get registered with NSE and Coren. I bagged my HND in electrical in 2010 and B. Eng. in Electrical in the year 2017. With my years of experience before going for B. Eng, when do you think I can apply for NSE. I’m already due for NATE as a technologist. Or can I go for COREN via NATE? Pleased help me out?
    Saheed Adewole

  10. Admin,

    please is it necessary to register as a graduate member before proceeding to corporate membership. kindly guide me on how to register with COREN.


  11. Gudday Engr sadiq. Can one be certified as a graduate Engineer using HND certificates only?? Or should go for PGD first! Thanks

  12. Hello Eng. Sadiq, i have been working under a coren registered engineer since 2010 and I just concluded my HND in Electrical Electronics Engineering (upper)in 2016,Am I qualify to have a coren certificate and what category??thanks in anticipation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s